About Speech & Language Therapy
Please see right hand panel for the Speech and Language Therapy referral forms.
- Please note that we now have separate referral forms for communication and eating/drinking (swallowing/dysphagia) referrals.
If a child needs referring for communication assessment and eating/drinking assessment please complete 2 separate referral forms.
Please ensure that all parts of the form are completed in order that the referral can be accepted- in particular info re:
- 3 months ‘intervention’ for language referrals (can include Welcomm activities, specific advice and information given and progress monitored etc)
- Parental consent (can be discussed and signed by professional)
- Safeguarding information
- Detail about the communication/feeding concern.
Please read the referral criteria on the first pages carefully before referring.
Speech and Language Therapists support children’s speech, language and communication and we work with children 0 to 16.
These children may experience difficulties in the following areas:
- Using clear speech
- Listening to and understanding language
- Talking in words and sentences
- Social interaction
- Fluent speech (stammering)
- Eating and swallowing
There are many reasons why a child may find speech and language difficult.
Some examples include:
- Hearing impairment
- Cleft palate
- Physical difficulties
- Learning difficulties
- For many other children there is no obvious explanation for their difficulties.
Our team of therapists includes specialists in all these areas.
Alternative access to services during Covid-19
Speech and Language Therapy SALT (Adults)
Speech and Language Therapy SALT (Children)
Speech and Language Therapists and Assistants in Coventry work in these locations:
- Community health centres
- Children’s wards at University Hospital
- Coventry & Warwickshire nurseries
- Mainstream schools
- Specialist units attached to mainstream schools
- Special schools
- Specialist early years provisions
- Specialist care provisions
- Our team base is at Paybody building, c/o City of Coventry Health Centre.
Who we work with
The Speech and Language Therapy team work with babies, children and young people who have difficulties with:
- Feeding & swallowing
These difficulties could be, but are not always, linked with:
- Mild, moderate or severe learning difficulties
- Physical disabilities
- Hearing impairment
- Cleft palate
- Head injury
- Degenerative conditions
How we work
All children and young people accepted to the service will be offered an assessment with a Speech & Language Therapist.
Following assessment and diagnosis, advice will be given and if appropriate children will receive therapy (this could be directly with the SLT or assistant or indirectly through advice/ training given to a parent or a professional who works with the child).
Progress is measured against targeted outcomes.
- Diagnosis of communication and/ or swallowing disorders
- Maintenance of optimal communication and / or swallowing abilities
- Improvement in speech, language , communication abilities of individuals
- Improved use of existing function
- Reduction of communication anxiety and avoidance
- Provision and use of Alternative and Augmentative Communication when oral communication is limited or precluded by a physical condition
- Improvement in interaction and effective social communication
- Increased awareness of others about communication and/ or swallowing disorders, intervention and management
- Improved communication environment
- Greater opportunities for communication
- Improvement in the individual’s understanding of the nature and implications of a communication and/ or swallowing disorder.
Anyone who knows or works with a child or young person can refer to our service – the referral system is open to all.
Professionals referring on behalf of a parent must obtain the parent/carer’s signature, before the form is sent to us.
A referral without parent / carer signature will not be accepted.
Click here to find out how to refer a child.
Paybody Building City of Coventry Health Centre 2 Stoney Stanton Road Coventry CV1 4FS
8.30 am – 5.00 pm Monday to Thursday
8.30 am – 4.30 pm Friday
Tel 02476 961453 / 961454 / 961455
Speech and Language Therapy Service (Rugby)
Children’s Speech and Language Therapists work with children from the age of 12 months who demonstrate difficulties with social communication, eating and swallowing or a language disorder.
Please click links in the right panel on this page to access the referral form and referral information.
Paediatric Dysphagia Service
Is a specialist In-patient and Community Service for children with difficulty in eating, drinking or swallowing. Our service offers support for children from birth through to late adolescence depending on the nature of each child’s needs.
Children referred to the Dysphagia Team will be seen by a Specialist Speech and Language Therapist (SLT) for a full assessment of their eating/drinking and swallowing skills.
Please click links in the right panel for more information about the Paediatric Dysphagia Service.