Enabling Spaces CIC is a community interest company (CIC) that has been established to work directly with individuals who are affected by Hoarding Disorder with associated self-neglect and domestic squalor
Enabling Spaces CIC has partnered with Coventry City Council and Coventry & Rugby CCG, as part of the Early Prevention, Health and Well-being program to deliver specialist hoarding services for Coventry.
Referral email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
For referral advice phone: 01926 935055 or 07377323575
- Referrals will only be accepted from Adult Social Care (Social Workers), GPs and Mental Health Practitioners.
- Client must be over 18yrs
- Must live within the boundaries of Coventry City.
- Demonstrate hoarding behaviours (collects items that appear of little value)
- Significant distress or impairment in functioning caused by the hoarding.
- Have additional mental health conditions, learning disability and/or other vulnerabilities including dementia and frailty.
- Individual consents to Enabling Spaces’ support to address hoarding or legal representative consents, if individual is unable to consent.
Environmental Impact – unsafe
- Significant levels of clutter in living spaces preventing them for being used for the intended purpose
- Accumulation of, and failure to discard, a large volume of possessions that appear to most people to be useless or of limited value.
- Fire Risks
- Falls Risks
- Impaired mobility within the property
- Vermin, Infestation, Excessive pets
- Risk to others living in the property
- Risk to wider community
- Squalid conditions – human or animal waste, rotting food, insect infestation
Impact on Activities of Daily Living
- Self Neglect resulting in poor personal hygiene
- Insufficient space to prepare food, toilet, shower/bath, dress, risk of infection for those in poor health, ability to sit comfortably to eat/relax
- Productivity – Insufficient space to work, complete daily tasks such washing up, impacting on health
- Leisure – Inability to socialise in the home environment, embarrassment associated with the condition of the property
- Isolation from family, friends and local community
- Amenities not functioning.
Hours of availability
This is a part-time service operating Monday – Wednesday 9am-5pm.
If the person meets the criteria for Coventry Hoarding Service, there will be no cost for Enabling Spaces’ input.
Enabling Spaces have a small budget of up to £500 per person – often additional costs will need to be sourced to cover costs of decluttering and deep cleaning.