About the School Nursing Service
Provides a named school nurse in each school in Coventry, to help children and young people (from school entry to 19 years old) to take responsibility for their own health and to adopt a healthy lifestyle.
Assesses the health needs of the school community, planning and implementing programmes that promote and protect public health.
Works in partnership with other agencies to address wider threats to, and inequalities, in health.
Supports the delivery of the Healthy Child Programme 5-19 years old (DH 2009)
Adheres to the guidance as per Coventry Safeguarding Children’s Board including delivery of the National Child Measurement Programme, Reception and Year 6 Health Assessments and Hearing Screening.
School Nursing WILL accept referrals for:
- Identified medical conditions where support is needed to be able to access mainstream education, eg. Asthma, epilepsy, severe allergies.
- For Primary School, where there are school or parental concerns which are affecting education, e.g. behaviour issues at home / poor sleep patterns / night time wetting / underweight and toileting support (for those already toilet trained).
- For Secondary School, as above plus concerns about sexual health, smoking/drugs/alcohol misuse.
- Emotional wellbeing e.g. low mood, low self-esteem, anxiety and self-harm.
- For prolonged or severe self-harm please consider a referral to RISE.
School Nurse WILL NOT accept referrals for:
- Children already under school counselling or CAMHS service.
- Concerns about poor school attendance only, e.g. frequent absence for coughs / colds / stomach upsets (these children could be directed to their GP)
- Children who are overweight needing further support – please refer to Be Active be Healthy.
- Children needing referral into CAMHS, this is most appropriately completed by schools.
- Children needing referrals into Neurodevelopment team for ASD / ADHD / ATTACHMENT concerns.
- Concerns regarding suspected eating disorders: these children need directing to their GP or CAMHS.
- Day time wetting and soiling and children requiring continence products – all of which need to attend their GP.
- Request for height and weight measurements, these children need to be directed to their GP.
- Safeguarding concerns as these should be directed to Social Care following Coventry Safeguarding Procedures.
- Health information requests for other health services. This should be requested via the GP or the specialist service.
Other referral agencies:
Single Point of Entry: RISE (CAMHS Specialist Service) and emotional wellbeing www.cwrise.com 0300 200 2021
Positive Choices Tel:02476 553130 changegrowlive.org/coventryyp
Defuze (Children Living with Domestic Violence) if already open to Social Care 02476 221112
Hearing (Audiology) Single Point Of Entry 03002 000011
Children’s Occupational Therapy 02476 961455
Sexual Health Service tel 03000 200027 besavvy.org.uk
Change for life for healthy lifestyle information. nhs.uk/change4life
Be Active Be Healthy Tel: 07852921406 firstname.lastname@example.org
Young Carers Tel: 024 76101040 email@example.com
Speech and Language Therapy 024 7696 1453
Other Health focused websites
Coventry School Nurses have launched two websites, aimed at children and teenagers:
www.healthforkids.co.uk offers a fun way for children to learn about health with games, activities and quizzes.
www.healthforteens.co.uk hosts videos and webchats as well as articles to educate teenagers on a range of health topics such as contraception, mental health, drugs and alcohol.
Chat Health texting service
Chat health is a free service that enables 11-18 year olds across Coventry to send confidential SMS text messages to School Nurses who will provide impartial advice and support. The number to text is 07507 331949.
Parent Texting Advice Line
Parent Line can be reached by texting 07507329114 between 09:00-17:00 Monday to Friday for parents to contact a school nurse to discuss any child health concerns they may have.
Parents can also contact the office by telephone on 02475 189190 between 09:00-17:00 Monday to Friday
Preparing for your appointment
An appointment with your school nurse or a member of the team could take place at the child’s school, at home or at a community centre.
Moat House School Nurses
|Allesley Primary||Clifford Bridge||Edgewick||Aldermans Green|
|Christ the King||Courthouse Green||Henley Green||Broad Heath Primary|
|Coundon||Good Shepherd||Moat House||Grangehurst|
|Hill Farm||Holy Family||Potters Green||John Gulson Primary|
|Holbrooks||John Shelton||SS Peter & Paul||Longford Park|
|Hollyfast||Little Heath||St Elizabeths||Stanton Bridge|
|Joseph Cash||Parkgate||St John Fisher||St Laurences|
|Keresley Grange||Pearl Hyde||St Patricks||Three Spires|
|St Augustines||Whitmore Park|
|St Osburgs||Wyken Croft|
|Barrs Hill||Caludon Castle||Cardinal Wiseman||Eden|
|Coundon Court||Grace||Stoke Park||Foxford|
|Cardinal Newman – cover shared by all Moat House School Nurses
Corley – cover shared by all of Moat House School Nurses
Charter Avenue School Nurses
|All Souls||Cannon Park||All Saints||Aldermoor Farm|
|Charter Primary||Earlsdon Prm||Allesley Hall||Corpus Christie|
|Finham Primary||Gosford Park||Eastern Green Prm||Ernesford Grange|
|Frederick Bird||Grange Farm||Leigh C of E||Howes Primary|
|Our Lady of Assumption||Hearsall||Limbrick Wood||Manor Park|
|St Christophers||Sacred Heart||Mount Nod||St Annes|
|St Mary and St Benedict’s||Sidney Stringer||Park Hill||St Bartholomew’s|
|Whoberley Hall||Southfields||St Andrews||Sowe Valley|
|Woodfield Primary||Stoke Heath||St John Vianney||Stretton C of E|
|Stoke Prm||St Johns C of E||Willenhall|
|Templars||St Thomas More|
|Finham Park||Sidney Stringer||Bishop Ullathorne||Blue Coat|
|WMG for Young Engineers||Westwood||Finham Park 2|
|West Coventry Academy
School Health & Well-being
The School Health and Wellbeing Service provides health learning and improvement for all school-aged Children & Young People aged 5 – 19 (or 25 where there are special educational needs).
The Warwickshire service is provided by Compass. Please follow link regarding referral information
Please see link for more information on the Rugby School Health and Wellbeing Service