One Body One Life
One Body One Life (OBOL) is a free 8-10 week programme to help you and your family make real changes to your eating and exercise habits, to be fitter, healthier and more active.
What do you get?
- FREE 8-10 week programme tailored to your needs.
- FREE health checks so you can see the changes.
- Advice and support from qualified coaches.
- Healthy eating workshops.
- Fun physical activity sessions.
- Healthy eating tips.
What’s in it for you?
- Spend quality time as a family.
- Gain new skills to be fitter and healthier.
- Free 8-10 week healthy eating and physical activity programme for children aged 2 to 4 years and their parents or carers.
- Designed to offer a friendly and creative environment to learn about healthy eating and active play.
Types of OBOL Programmes
This programme is currently delivered in children’s centres, community venues and school nurseries across Coventry.
Free 8-10 week healthy eating and physical activity programme for children aged 2 to 4 years and their parents or carers. Designed to offer a friendly and creative environment to learn about healthy eating and active play.
Free 8-10 week programme for families, designed to help you and your child choose healthier foods and spend more time together having fun and being active. Children must attend with a parent.
This programme is currently delivered in primary schools, sports centres and community venues across Coventry.
Age 14+ exercise session
Tuesday’s 5:30 – 6:30pm at Sidney Stringer School. This session is designed for ages 14+ who are looking at becoming more active, or trying to keep themselves active. Health checks and Support and advice on Physical Activity can be offered also.
Exercise class for Adults with Learning Disabilities
We deliver a fun, physical activity session every Tuesday 1:30pm – 2:30pm. This class is suitable for all adults with a mild/moderate learning disability. The class takes place at Coventry Sports Centre, Fairfax Street, 2nd floor, studio 1. Please call us for more information or just turn up on the day. Carers and Support networks are welcome. a
- Bump and Buggy Workout is an indoor/outdoor circuit mix of power walking and toning exercises and fun games to improve fitness, posture, coordination and strengthen core muscles – Bring your baby with you in the buggy!
- Start or Stay Active during and after pregnancy and Chat to other mums and mums to be. Suitable for any level of fitness
- Cost: £2.50 pay as you go
- Every Monday and Wednesday, 10:30am-11:30am at the War Memorial Park, Meeting Point is at the Visitors Centre.
Please contact Be Active Be Healthy Team
Adult Lifestyle Services www.hlscoventry.org (coordinated by ICE in Coventry)
The new Coventry integrated healthy lifestyles service (April 2018) incorporates support and advice for all of the following as part of one integrated service:
- NHS Health Checks
- Stop smoking
- Weight management
- Alcohol reduction
- Physical activity
Referrals: See referral form
Referral email: icecreatesltd.hlscoventry.nhs.net.
Fitter Futures (commissioned by Public Health Warwickshire County Council)
Fitter Futures Warwickshire services aim to support people across Warwickshire to improve their health.
This may include maintaining a healthy weight, becoming more physically active and having a healthier lifestyle.
Need to be registered with a Warwickshire GP.
Each service requires individuals referred to meet a specific set of criteria.
Weight Management on Referral service
The Weight Management on Referral service is provided across Warwickshire. The service provides 12 weeks of FREE weight management support.
Open various times, Monday – Sunday
- Must be registered with a Warwickshire GP
- Aged 12 or over with body mass index (BMI) of 30 or more or a BMI of 28+ if there are complex needs
- Can only participate in one 12-week programme within a 12-month period.
- Cannot have been a paying member of the service provider within the last 3 months
- Maximum of two referrals per person
Referral: You must be referred by a health/social care professional.
Steps after referral: Once accepted you will be sent joining instructions via post or email.
A very easy, user-friendly weight management programme (based on 46 years of evidence) offering 12 weeks free, consisting of one-hour group sessions run countywide mornings and evenings six days a week.
For anyone aged over 12 with a BMI 30+ or BMI 28+ with a health-related condition.
You can get a free 12-week pass for Slimming World if you meet the referral criteria and are referred by a health professional.
For more information about slimming world and to find your local group visit the Slimming World website.
- The programme is designed to help you lose weight at a healthy rate of up to 2lbs a week (creating a personalised, safe energy deficit for a healthy rate of weight loss), whilst encouraging healthier, more satisfying food choices.
- This enables flexibility to learn skills for sustaining weight loss and integrating physical activity.
- Every week in your workshop which lasts about an hour, different topics are discussed, ideas and practical solutions shared on how to build healthy habits and manage your weight.
- You will have individual, confidential support at your weekly Wellness check-in to help you achieve your goals.
- In addition, you’ll have access to all the digital and mobile app tools for 16 weeks.
- This digital support includes a personalised assessment when you join, food and activity tracking, thousands of foods and recipes to inspire you, fun ways to get active and ways to take care of yourself and de-stress.
Everyone Health fitness groups run once a week for 12 weeks and each session lasts for 90 minutes. You can join at any time as groups run on a rolling basis.
Each group consists of about 10-15 people who are also looking to lose weight and feel healthier.
Each group session has two parts; the first part focuses on healthy eating, topics include portion sizes, eating out and food labelling.
The second part is an activity-based session, this will allow you to improve your health and fitness in a safe and encouraging environment.
The sessions are delivered by a team of nutritionists and physical activity specialists who will help you lose weight permanently by making small but significant changes to their lifestyle, avoiding unrealistic and gimmicky diets
Nuneaton and Bedworth Leisure Trust (NBLT)
Nuneaton and Bedworth Leisure Trust (NBLT) programme offers home-based support to Warwickshire residents with a BMI above the healthy limit and with mental health conditions, have reduced mobility and/or are living in isolation.
Group-based classes are not suitable for everyone, and this is where NBLT can support you.
NBLT’s service provides a one-to-one mobile service, which includes nutritional education and physical activity provision to support you with leading a healthy and active lifestyle. Face to face support will be offered at weeks 1, 6 and 12 alongside regular communication throughout the programme.
By providing you with education and knowledge about nutrition and exercise, combined with your commitment and consistency, you will achieve optimum results in weight loss, energy levels and enjoy a healthier life.
Examples of the educational nutrition topics:
- The role of food groups and macronutrients in your life
- Calorie counting vs portion control
- Portion your life
- What to eat, when
Physical Activity On Referral
This Physical Activity on Referral service (previously called Exercise on Referral) is provided across Warwickshire. This service offers a 12-week personalised physical activity/healthy lifestyle programme delivered by exercise referral qualified fitness instructors.
Open various times from Monday to Sunday
Adults aged 16+
Discounted costs which vary depending on location and provider
You must be registered with a Warwickshire GP and have one of the following conditions:
- Mental health condition – such as mild to moderate depression, anxiety, low mood
- Respiratory condition
- Musculoskeletal condition
- Strength or balance concerns – follow link for further information
- Neurological condition
- Risk of cardiovascular disease
- Diabetes (type one or two)
- Overweight/obesity (including in all stages of pregnancy and postnatal)
- Osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis or osteoporosis
- Dementia early/mid stages
- Recovering from cancer
You must be registered with a Warwickshire GP and referred by a health/social care professional.
Please note, individuals can only access one Everyone Health service – they cannot participate in both the Adult weight management and Physical activity on referral.
Young people weight management and physical activity services in Warwickshire
The Weight Management on referral service provides 12 weeks of weight management support for young people across Warwickshire.
Young People aged 11-15 years
Free of charge
You must be referred by a health/social care professional/pharmacist and be overweight. If you think you are overweight and not too sure, you can check with a school health service, a GP, a pharmacist or other health professional you may be in contact with such as a practice nurse, a looked after children’s nurse, a social worker, a physiotherapist, dietician or occupational therapist etc. One of these people can also refer you to the service.
You will be contacted and offered a 12-week programme with Slimming World.
Family & Teenager Weight Management
Change Makers is a healthy eating, healthy lifestyles and physical activity programme for Warwickshire families that want to make positive lifestyle changes.
This could include increasing fruit and vegetable intake, addressing comfort eating, being more active as a family together or to learning how to have a balanced and healthy lifestyle.
Change Makers are now working as part of the Warwickshire Health and Wellbeing Service (Compass) to help children and young people live healthier lives.
Through a range of interventions including one-to-ones, workshops, and programmes, Change Makers supports children, young people and families across Warwickshire to improve their nutrition and have a more active lifestyle.
Referrals to the service may be made through Fitter Futures following the historic process (link to referral page) or may be made directly to the Warwickshire Health and Wellbeing Service. Referrals via the Fitter Futures page is just for health professionals, all referrals can be made directly with Warwickshire Health and Wellbeing Service.
Healthy lifestyles for children under five
Across Warwickshire there are services which support families with young children:
HENRY – healthy start, brighter future
HENRY is a free programme for families with children under five years old that uses a holistic solution focused approach to support the whole family to make positive lifestyle changes, creating healthier and happier home environments and building healthier communities.
The HENRY programme is delivered by a specialist practitioner over 5-8 weeks, one-to-one in the family home or local community setting.
If you would like to register for a HENRY programme, please speak to your Health Visitor or contact the HENRY Coordinator – Rachel Wareham on 01926 887309.
Breastfeeding – antenatal and postnatal guidance, information and support
Warwick Hospital – Infant Feeding Coordinator
Tel: +44(0)1926 495321 Ext 8584
George Eliot Hospital – Specialist Midwife (Infant Feeding & Obesity)
Tel: +44(0)2476 865074 Ext 5074
Warwickshire Community – Specialist Infant Feeding Health Visitor
Tel: +44(0)1926 337506 Ext 119
University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire – Infant Feeding Clinical Educator
Tel: +44(0)2476 967369
Activities in the Community
There are many cost-effective classes that offer a range of activities to the local community.
Walking for health
Walking is an ideal way for most people to become more active, without the need for special equipment. Taking part in the Walking for Health scheme is an enjoyable and sociable way to become more active