CWPT Dementia Assessment and Community Service IPU 18-21 (formerly Arden Memory Assessment/Community Dementia Service) accepts referrals from GPs for patients who meet all of the following criteria:
For Suspected Dementia:
- Patient has a history of cognitive impairment > 6 months duration not attributable to another physical or mental health condition e.g. delirium, recent CVA, drug or alcohol abuse
- Patient has complex presentation or require differential diagnosis
- Patient has capacity to consent to the assessment and agree to the process (For patients who lack capacity, best interest principles of care apply)
For patients with existing diagnosis of dementia:
- Patient requires specialist intervention for the management/treatment of mental health problems secondary to the diagnosis of dementia
- Patient requires interventions provided by specialist mental health social workers e.g. carer/financial assessment, care packages/transition into 24hour care
- Patient requires advice and interventions regarding behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia (BPSD) or positive behavioural support
Consultant Psychiatrist GP advice line
If in doubt about a psychiatry referral or you wish for any other advice including about medication then call 02476 932420* (between 9.45am-4.30pm Monday to Friday) * number updated April 2018.
The telephone call will be followed by a formal letter summarising the management advice.
The team will respond within a maximum of 10 working days from receipt of the referral by phone directly on 0300 200 0011 option 1 (24hrs/7days p.w.) or by referral form (please see link in right hand panel) and send by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Preliminary investigations such as blood tests required for a dementia screen and requests for a CT/MRI scan should be carried out prior to referral where possible.
Please indicate in your referral if patient has mobility/access requirements.
Warwickshire Living Well with Dementia website
Warwickshire County Council has launched a brand new website warwickshire.gov.uk/dementia to support people living with Dementia in Warwickshire.
The website is designed for people with dementia, their carers, family and friends as well as practitioners supporting people with dementia and organisations who would like to know more about becoming dementia friendly.