GP Liaison Service: GP referrals to UHCW
Hours of Availability
Monday Wednesday Friday: 0830-1830
Tuesday Thursday: 0830-1800
Paula Dodgson and Linda Ahmed GP Liaison Nurse
We receive many patients in the incorrect area, which may delay their care and impact patient experience.
Use copy of “Referral Slip” (below) to help direct patients to the correct department.
The patient should present this slip, alongside their referral letter, to the reception of the receiving clinical area.
A completed “Referral Slip” should be given to each patient referred via GP Liaison.
The GP Liaison Service was established by University Hospital in 2006 and offers a single point of contact for emergency referrals. The service supports GPs in deciding the most appropriate pathway for their patients.
The benefits of the service include:
- A dedicated single point of contact for GP emergency referrals;
- Direct phone line for communicating patient details;
- Email referral facility;
- Time saving in establishing contact with the on-call doctor;
- Redirection to appropriate specialist services and fast-track clinics.
Admission via the Emergency Department/ MDU may not be the most appropriate route of care for some patients. There are a number of alternative care pathways, such as fast-track clinics, which may be more suitable
The GP Liaison Nurse can advise on, and facilitate admission to, the most appropriate specialist service according to individual patient needs.
The aim is to reduce emergency admissions by supporting admission avoidance and ensuring that GPs have access to specialist services and fast track clinics.
The GP liaison service offers advice, however the final decision regarding route of admission lies with the referring clinician.
Top tips to follow when using the GP Liaison Service
- Please use the GP Liaison Service as designed. Once you have spoken to the GP Liaison Nurse there is no requirement to speak with the admitting speciality (e.g. registrar), unless advised.
- The Service will accept referrals from all primary care providers – Gp’s, Practice Nurses, ANP’s, Community Nurses, and Specialist Nurses.
- Referrals can be made via telephone, bleep or email. We aim to answer emails within 10 minutes.
- Please give NHS Number, GP name, phone number and a brief history when calling.
- The service takes referrals for all specialities, except Neurosurgery, Children and Surgical (02476965762).
- Always address your letter to the speciality you wish to see the patient.
- Always include a completed referral slip.
Please do not give out the GP Liaison Number to patients (follow link right to reveal number)
Email for referrals: email@example.com
GP Liaison by Consultant Connect
Pre-Referral Advice and Guidance – Using the GP Liaison Line
Did you know you can contact the GP Liaison Nurse, through Consultant Connect? The GP Liaison Service offers a single point of contact for emergency referrals. The service supports GPs in deciding the most appropriate pathway for their patients and can be accessed in just 11 seconds, on average.
Accessing the service
The quickest and easiest way to access the service is via the free Consultant Connect App – download from your app store. The app provides a list of your available specialties and their operating times. To help get you started, you may wish to read our GP Start-Up Guide.
Alternatively, you can call your Dial-In Number which is on your surgery’s unique Service Directory. Please contact Joanne Hardway (details below) if you would like your Service Directory link sent to you, or if you have any questions or require further information.
Contact your Account Manager: Joanne Hardway
New Consultant Connect Paediatrics Advice & Guidance Pilot August 2021
New Consultant Connect Cardiology Advice & Guidance Pilot June 2021
Consultant Connect & Urgent Connect Pre-referral Advice & Guidance Telephone Service
Updated speciality services available on Consultant Connect – pre-referral Advice and Guidance telephone services at UHCW and supported by a National Network of NHS Consultants.
- Acute Medicine
- Cardiology **NEW** (9am – 8pm, Mon-Fri)
- Diabetes **NEW** (9am – 8pm, Mon-Fri)
- Elderly Care **NEW** (9am – 8pm, Mon-Fri)
- GP Liaison Line
- Gastroenterology (9am – 8pm, Mon-Fri)
- Gynaecology **NEW** (9am – 8pm, Mon-Fri)
- Haematology **NEW** (9am – 8pm, Mon-Fri)
- Ophthalmology **NEW** (9am – 7pm, Mon-Fri)
- Paediatrics **NEW**9am – 8pm, Mon-Fri)
- Respiratory **NEW** (9am – 8pm, Mon-Fri)
- Rheumatology **NEW** (9am – 8pm, Mon-Fri)
- Teledermatology **NEW** (9am – 5pm, Mon-Fri)
- Urology **NEW** (9am – 8pm, Mon-Fri)
Allowing GPs to talk directly to a specialised Consultant or Registrar when they are unsure as to whether referring or admitting a patient to hospital is the best course of action for the patient.
Available Monday – Friday, 9am-5pm (excluding bank holidays) – unless otherwise stated.
Please note: This line should not be used to admit patients. Definite admissions should be made through GP Liaison as usual.
Using the Consultant Connect pre referral Advice and Guidance service in place of referrals or written A&G could mean:
- Reduced use of ERS, saving staff time
- Increased patient care and engagement
Select the outcome at the end of your call; this assists evaluation of the benefit for patient care.
Options are as follows:-
- Patient Treated Out of Hospital (press Opt 1)
- Patient Navigated To Clinic or Outpatients (press Opt 2)
- Patient Admitted (press Opt 3)
Ophthalmology Photo Advice & Guidance
Ophthalmology Photo Advice & Guidance Service has been launched and supported by UHCW Monday-Friday 9am-7pm.
Select the PhotoSAF (camera icon) feature at the bottom of the screen to take photos via your phone.
Alternatively upload photos from your desktop via the Consultant Connect dashboard and use these to access Photo Advice & Guidance.
The service is IG secure and you can follow the simple onscreen instructions to take photos and send them directly to consultants. You will receive a notification when the consultant replies to your query.
Please note that photos are stored in a secure online cloud and are never saved to your phone. Your photos will also be automatically sent to your NHS email address. To find out more about Photo Advice & Guidance for Ophthalmology, read this guide below (click on image for full size version)
Click on above image for full size version
PLEASE REMEMBER to select the outcome at the end of your call; this assists us to assess a conclusion to your patient’s treatment. Options are as follows:-
- Referrals Avoided (press Opt 1)
- Referral Made (press Opt 2)
- Diagnostics Requested (press Opt 3)
- Admission Avoided (press Opt 4)
- Admission Made (press Opt 5)
Consultant Connect TeleDermatology
Select PhotoSAF (camera icon) at the bottom of the screen. All images will also be sent to your NHS email address along with a PDF summary.
To find out more about how to use TeleDermatology, click on the image below
When performing remote consultations you can now use the IG secure Consultant Connect Platform to upload photos from patients for specialist opinion:
- Click here for a step-by-step guide on how the service works.
- To help patients to take the best photos, please feel free to share this guide with them.