A specialised service providing dental treatment for children, adults and older people in Coventry who because of a mental or behavioural impairment or disability are unable to access general practice dental care.
We can offer treatment for people with:
- Learning difficulties
- Mental health problems
- Physical disability
- Severe or complex medical problems
- Social/emotional/behavioural problems
- Phobias that are currently undergoing treatment;
- Older people who are housebound or in residential care.
NHS dental charges apply as appropriate.
Services we provide are:
- Routine dental care for special needs patients
- Mobile dental unit used to serve special need schools and adult centres for people with learning disabilities
- Domiciliary visits for housebound patients who meet service criteria
- Oral health promotion services
- General anaesthetic referral for patients requiring extractions and who meet service criteria
A referral form is required from a health or social care professional.
An assessment appointment will then be made to plan treatment as necessary.
Using a secure email account please send the completed referral form and relevant radiographic images to: email@example.com
Community Dental Service
City of Coventry Health Centre
2 Stoney Stanton Road
Referral to the Specialist Care Dental Service (Warwickshire)
NHS Warwickshire commissions Warwickshire Special Care Dental Service to provide dental care for residents of Warwickshire whose dental care needs cannot be met by the General Dental Service (family dentist) or the Hospital Dental Service.
Special Care Dentistry is broadly concerned with providing and enabling the improvement of oral health of individuals who may have a physical, sensory, intellectual, mental, medical, emotional or social impairment or disability or, frequently, a combination of a number of these factors.
Criteria for assessment is based on:
- Ability to communicate
- Ability to co-operate
- Oral Risk Factors
- Access to Oral Care.
For some patients the reason for referral can be resolved during a single course of treatment e.g. those with less severe tolerance issues that can be addressed by an acclimatisation programme or referral for treatment under General anaesthetic.
We would aim to discharge these patients back to general dental practice
Some patients require long term care because of the long term nature of their needs and the specialist nature of the Special Care Dental Service.
We will accept patients for care whose G.P. is within the Warwickshire boundaries and Local Authority of North Warwickshire, Nuneaton and Bedworth, Rugby, Leamington Spa and Warwick and Stratford.
Clinics are located at:-
- Royal Leamington Spa Rehabilitation Hospital
- Leamington Spa
We can provide treatment on a domiciliary basis from all our clinics
General Anaesthetic sessions are provided at Warwick Hospital and UHCW for paediatric exodontia and Warwick Hospital and George Eliot Hospital for adult comprehensive courses of treatment
Making a Referral
Referrals can either be for routine treatment, treatment under sedation (Inhalation or Intravenous) or for treatment under General Anaesthetic .
There are 2 forms available dependant on the treatment requested
Routine Referral (to include referral for sedation) and General Anaesthetic Referral
The following points may assist when making a referral
- We do not accept referrals for molar endodontics or oral surgery
- Young children(under 5yrs) are unsuitable for Inhalation sedation
- Children requiring multiple extractions, or adults requiring extractions in more than two quadrants may be more appropriate for treatment under General Anaesthetic
- An orthodontic assessment may be helpful for children with extensive decay or severe hypoplasia in first adult molars which have a poor prognosis, to check if balancing extractions may be helpful,
- Radiographs are required for adult extractions
PLEASE COMPLETE ALL SECTIONS OF THE FORM, OTHERWISE THIS MAY RESULT IN DELAY TO THE PROCESS.
SEND TO OUR ADDRESS ON THE FORM.
Once received we will send a confirmation letter to yourself as the referrer and to the patient. This will indicate if the referral has been triaged as URGENT or ROUTINE.
If the clinical information relating to the referral changes please contact our Head office so that the referral can be re-triaged
We aim to see URGENT referrals within 4 weeks and operate an opt in system . If you have not heard back from us within 2 weeks of sending your referral then please contact our head office for advice.
Further copies of the referral forms can be obtained from our central office either as hard copies or electronically by e mail
Special Care Dental Service
Royal Leamington Spa Rehabilitation Hospital
Tel no 01926 317700 extn 7726