2 WW CRITERIA FOR PAEDIATRICS AND ADOLESCENTS
Important: Changes to Paediatric 2WW Referrals
We have updated the names of the x2 Paediatric services we have available, via Consultant Connect, to ensure that it is clear to clinicians when to call each option. Please see the below naming conventions and purposes of each line:
Paediatrics – Suspected Childhood Cancer (2WW)
For all suspected childhood cancer cases. If a patient has amber or red symptoms (as per the CCLG guidance) then call this option. If the referral is accepted by the Paediatric Consultant on call, then you will have to request an appointment via the Consultant Connect App or dashboard.
To find out how to access this service, then please reference this user guide or watch the below video.
Paediatrics – Urgent (Non-2WW)
If clinicians wish to discuss a case that they feel needs to be seen quickly to avoid admission or attendance in CED then call this option.
You should continue using online Advice and Guidance (eRS) for all non-urgent requests for advice.
Please be aware making a direct phone call via Consultant Connect is your new pathway for all Paediatrics 2WW referrals.
The service is provided by University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust and is available Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm.
Click on image below
The reasons for this change are detailed below:
- Evidence suggests the current ‘2-week wait’ written pathway is not effective for children.
- Very few referred children are ultimately diagnosed with cancer via this pathway, and over 95% of children with cancer reach the oncology service through different routes.
- The new Children’s Cancer and Leukaemia Group (CCLG) guidelines recommend that a direct telephone discussion with an acute paediatrician should be made where cancer is strongly suspected, to discuss the patient case and if a 2WW referral is required.
- NICE have endorsed the new CCLG guidelines, confirming that they accurately reflect recommendations in the corresponding NICE guidance.
- Symptoms and signs which require referral have been suggested below taken from the Children’s Cancer and Leukaemia Group (CCLG) guidance. Please note the full table of symptoms can also be referenced at the end of this document.
We encourage you to download, print and share the user guide with colleagues (an image of the guide is shown above).
Dr Kim Neuling, a paediatrician at University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust explained why she sees this change as beneficial:
“The new pathway will speed up the referral process and allow us to gather any extra information at the time of the referral. This means that together with primary care we can reduce unnecessary hospital visits and reduce anxiety for families of well children. In addition, it means that we can share the responsibility of the ‘watchful waiting’ process with GPs.”
If you require any support with the Consultant Connect service, please contact Joanne Hardway via email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01865 261 467.
- CCLG guidance
- Consultant Connect dashboard
- Download the Consultant Connect App from the App Store
- Download the Consultant Connect App from Google Play
Watch our short demo videos:
Two Week Wait referrals should now be processed through the NHS eReferral Service (previously known as Choose & Book)
Young Lives vs Cancer (formerly known as CLIC Sargent) Social Work Support for Children with Cancer
Click on image below for link to website or follow link on right for information document
Get in touch if you have a question, need advice, have a media enquiry, want to change your contact preferences, or would like extra support with your fundraising.
For help, advice or information
Our Supporter Engagement team are ready to help you.
- Chat to us online using the button at the bottom right of the screen on the website (Monday to Friday, 10am–4pm)
- Call 0300 330 0803 (Monday to Friday, 9am–5pm)
- Use our enquiry form (we’ll respond to you via email unless otherwise stated within your enquiry)
For postal enquiries
If you want to contact us by post, our postal address is:
Young Lives vs Cancer
4th Floor, Whitefriars
Shine A Light Counselling and Support
We support families of children affected by cancer in the Coventry and Warwickshire area.
Our services include home visits, supporting families in clinics at hospital, counselling sessions for both children and adults, social events and day trips for families, drop in sessions, holistic therapies, events for teenagers, tuition sessions and more!
We work with families with a child or young person between the ages of 0 and 24 years from the date of diagnosis for as long as each family needs us.
We are aware that there are many families in Coventry and Warwickshire who we have yet to reach, who are or have been affected by childhood cancer.
We are here to help and support and would love to hear from them.
Families can refer themselves by filling in a registration form or contacting us.
Please contact us if you would like to find out more about our services.
Phone: 02476 676159
Address: Suite 21 Koco Community Resources Centre, 15 The Arches, Coventry CV1 3JQ