Just like in regions all over the UK, local NHS organisations have joined forces with local councils.
Together, the Coventry & Warwickshire Health and Care Partnership is sharing knowledge and pooling resources with a plan for improving health and care.
Coventry and Warwickshire Health and Care Partnership is committed to improving the quality of cancer care and services for our local population. According to national statistics it has been forecast that one in two people across the country will be diagnosed with cancer in their lives, however the good news is more people are surviving cancer than ever before and, by working hard, we aim to further improve health outcomes for people living in Coventry and Warwickshire.
What do we want to do?
- Diagnose cancers earlier, treat patients faster and improve survival rates
- Raise awareness of prevention and support healthier lifestyles across our local communities
- Ensure that the highest level of care and support is provided to those living with and beyond cancer
What do we have planned and what have we done so far?
- Planning to trial a Lung Screening pilot in Coventry, working closely with University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire lung department and three GP practices
- Secured project management funding that will support hospital teams with a review of their patient pathways
- Improving patient experience through the introduction of one stop clinics where appropriate e.g. attending for an appointment with a doctor and having tests on the same day
- Increased the number of posts in hospitals to look at how we are able to support patients who are Living with and Beyond Cancer
- Working closely with communities across Coventry and Warwickshire to encourage people to participate in the national cancer screening programmes, for example increasing the number of smear tests that are undertaken in our local area
- Supporting doctors and nurses working in GP practices through improved cancer education
- Provided funding to the pathology department allowing consultants to examine patient tissue that might result in a cancer diagnosis
- Secured patient representation on our local Coventry and Warwickshire Health and Care Partnership Cancer Board